Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What's For Dinner

When Gabe actually lets me watch the TV instead of watching Diego or Cheech, I love to watch shows on the Food Network or pull them from magazines and then experiment with the recipes in my home "test kitchen". I'm going to try to feature some of my favorite recipes I've found/created/tweaked in blogs called "What's For Dinner". So here goes:

Monday night's dinner: BBQ-Spiced Chicken (ala Rachael Ray) with Black Bean-Mango Salad (invented by me)

BBQ Chicken Rub
1 T Grill Seasoning
2 T chili powder
½ T cumin
1 T. coriander (ok to omit if needed)
3 T brown sugar

Combine above in a Ziploc bag. Add 4-6 chicken breasts and drizzle with EVOO. Close bag and massage chicken to coat well. Marinate in refrigerator at least an hour, up to 24. Fantastic when grilled!

Black Bean and Mango Salad
2-3 c rice, cooked and COOLED
1 can black beans
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 red pepper, diced
¼ red onion, finely diced (about 1/3 c)
3-4 T cilantro (about ½ handful)
juice of ½ lime
3 T EVOO
1 t chili powder
1 t cumin
½ t seasoning salt
pinch of ginger
2-3 dashes of tobasco, if spiciness is desired

Combine all – great as a side dish or even wrapped in a tortilla, burrito-style.


3 comments:

Carl and Katherin said...

We had the BBQ chicken last night and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks for the recipe :)

Amelia Sue Bunkelman said...

How about I buy the stuff, provide some beds for you and your fam to sleep in, and you can come and cook it in TR for me! :) Ok ... we can just go out for drinks!

Abby said...

I just had the BBQ chicken tonight. It was awesome!! I am waiting in anticipation for the next "What's for Dinner" (or in this neck of the woods..."What's for Supper!" Thanks! :)